Quelle Complex Nuremberg
The monumental building along Fürther Street was designed by the famous German architect Ernst Neufert. It was built as a shipping and logistics centre from 1953, and finally completed in five construction stages until 1969. The result was a complex of a particularly brittle beauty with façade infillings of chrome-colored hard burnt bricks and striking, almost continuously circulating exposed concrete balustrades and lintels.
The “Quelle mail-order machine” with its approximately 250,000 m² usable area is probably the most consistent realization of a perfected logistic concept. To this day, the building impresses with monumentality and lightness.
After the insolvency of Quelle Group in 2009, 82 years after its founding, all conveyor systems were dismantled; the former function is barely visible in the building today.
In 2015, the hammer of the auctioneer fell in the foreclosure sale of the Quelle Shipping Center at 16.8 million Euros for the Portuguese real estate developer Sonae Sierra, who would like to rebuild the area.
RhineScheme’s German partner practice ksg, who developed a usage concept for the Quelle building, is also involved in the further planning. The future complex is intended to offer a mix of shopping, commercial, sports and community facilities.